Since 1866, Hamilton & Inches has been Edinburgh premier destination for fine jewellery, luxury watches and hand-crafted silver. We are proud to operate our own craft workshops at 87 George Street, home to our exceptional silversmiths, goldsmiths, polishers, hand-engravers and watchmakers. As we continue to support the future of craft in Scotland and beyond, we are seeking an Apprentice Polisher to join the team and become the next generation to possess a rare and precious skillset.
Our Polishing Department
Our award-winning polishing department are responsible for the polishing and restoration of varying precious items. From world renowned trophies to smaller items including jewellery, silverware and Highland dress, pieces are crafted from gold, silver, platinum and more.
It takes years of experience and lots of practice to ensure each item is perfectly finished, without losing its unique character. This is a rare and unique opportunity to learn from our Master Polisher and some of the finest craftspeople in the UK.
Working as part of a small team, you will be fully trained in all aspects of the role including:
- Perfecting finishes on metal surfaces via polishing, sanding, plating, buffing and finishing
- Undertaking extensive health and safety training, including the use of Safety Data Sheets, PPE and the management of associated chemicals and machinery
- Completing basic training in the art of silversmithing and hand-engraving as required
- Learn a working knowledge of precious metals and precious/semi-precious stones
- Manage workload to ensure customer deadlines are met, taking more responsibility as experience is gained.
- Support the workshops and showroom as required, including possible customer events which may be out of hours
- Ensure work is carried out to the highest quality standards
- Support production of special commissions for clients
- Maintain accurate records of work undertaken
- Take responsibility for a safe working environment in the workshop ensuring all health and safety policies and procedures are adhered to
- Maintain client confidentiality at all times
- Represent the brand image of Hamilton & Inches ensuring positive impact and image on customers
Key skills and experience needed:
- Have a meticulous attention to detail
- Punctual and hard working
- Structured and focused
- Safety conscious
- Enjoy manual work
- Must be aged 16+
- Must be fluent in verbal and written English
- Eligible to work in the UK
What we offer in return
- Living wage salary
- Group personal pension.
- Access to premium medical support services
- Benefits: DIS / income protection
Given the nature of this role, it is anticipated that this position will need to be based at 87 George Street, working Monday to Friday. Please send your CV and covering email to Jackie.Fowler@hamiltonandinches.com telling us why you think you would be suitable for the role.
Application Deadline: Tuesday 31 May.