Creating an account has many benefits: check out faster, keep more than one address, track orders and more.
The H&I Silversmithing Course in Scotland
The Hamilton & Inches Craft Academy offers students in their third year studying a relevant silversmithing or jewellery degree courses in Scotland the opportunity to get hands on experience with a 156-year firm. Over the decades, we have crafted trophies, including the Doddie Weir Cup, the Scottish Open Trophy, pieces for Royalty, Government and more. Be part of our next chapter and enjoy hands on experience with our silversmiths, goldsmiths, hand-engravers, polishers and wider team.
- Work within the award-winning silversmithing department
- Enjoy hands on experience in the art of chasing, polishing, Repousse, piercing, planishing, soldering and more
- Spend time with the wider business including goldsmiths, polishers, hand-engravers, sales, stock and more
- Be involved in latest jewellery collection design and creation
- Practically apply the skills you have learned in your course to date
- Learn about the commission to sale process
- Learn about this history and heritage of Hamilton & Inches
- Understand the bespoke commission process
- Learn basic fundamentals in business and marketing
- You must be in third year studying a jewellery or silversmithing related degree at a Scottish university. Please note: our winter intake is only open to students at the Edinburgh College of Art.
- In addition to earning a Living Wage during your time with us, you will receive £1,500 towards your final project, payable via your university, a H&I Craft Academy certificate to show completion of the internship and employment reference for future opportunities.
- 8 week internship dependent on availability
- Mid July
- End January (open to Edinburgh College of Art students only).
- To apply, submit your cover letter and CV for consideration. Should you be shortlisted, you will be interviewed by our workshop manager and a member of the silversmithing department.
- TThis course is supported by Edinburgh College of Art, Scottish Goldsmiths Trust, Edinburgh Assay Office and Craft Scotland.
Ever year, we run two internship programmes, in January and July. Open to third year students studying a relevant degree at a Scottish University, the programme offers you practical experience working at a jeweller and silversmith with over 156 years’ experience. Your internship will offer first hand access to learn from our silversmiths, goldsmiths, hand-engravers, polishers and wider team. Explore our current opportunities.
8-week Silversmith InternshipDESCRIPTION
If you are a third-year student studying a relevant degree at the Edinburgh College of Art, you can apply for an 8 week paid internship in silversmithing culminating in a £1500 grant.
8 weeks from July 2023
- APPLICATION DEADLINE:
9th June 2023
- INTERNSHIP PERIOD:
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Third year student studying relevant degree at Edinburgh College of Art
It takes years of experience and lots of practice to ensure each item is perfectly finished, without losing its unique character. This is a rare and unique opportunity to learn from our Master Polisher and some of the finest craftspeople in the UK.
Living wage salary
Aged 16+ and eligible to work in the UK. Must be fluent in written and verbal English.
Celebrating our Craft
Discover items we have created during our 156-year history, including pieces for author J.K. Rowling, trophies for legendary sporting events and more.CELEBRATING OUR CRAFT
Craft Your Future
Hamilton & Inches has been helping people craft their future since 1866. Find out more about our team and life at H&I and how our Craft Academy can help develop your skills further.